Thursday 8 October 2015

THANK YOU LAGOS, NIGERIA.

What can I say about this land? I found it one filled with beautiful people, men, women, and the children. A buzzing community full of energy and vigor. A place full of beautiful culture, full of spirituality such as Christianity, Islam to African traditional religion. It’s a wealthy country and Africa’s biggest economy with a nominal GDP of 568.508 billion dollars. I’m not saying its utopia. It has its flows, its imperfection. Just like in any country in Africa, the country’s resources only benefit a small percentage of the society, corruption is the norm of the day, there are laws that criminalize you for being who you are, there is inequality amongst sexes, and a majority part of the youth is unemployed. So Lagos isn’t perfect. But I saw beauty in Nigeria, I saw it through its people.

In Lagos, I saw young Africa respecting the elderly in a true African way- not only from their actions but also through their attitudes, it radiated when they spoke, when they greeted them- I guess you could say that I could feel the energy coming from it.  I was amazed by the connection between the elderly and the young, it’s a strong bond- something rare in society today. I saw three different sides of Lagos, Lagos Island- the Central Business District. Victoria Island, where the rich and elite reside in beautiful homes that I gazed at in rapt silence. Then Lagos mainland, Jibowu, the humble side of the Mega- city, it was beautiful and special to me, I got to experience the real, true and honest Nigeria. I met beautiful and different individuals. Individuals who told me there experience as Nigerians, its culture, beauties and pain. It made me love Africa more, love my culture and my African roots. It made me conscious of who I am, my land, my people and my history as African. I stayed at the AHI residence, it was comfortable and cozy. I felt safe there despite being in a foreign land, I knew there was acceptance, tolerance and love at the residence, just what the African culture teaches us. Like we like to say in East Africa, Hakuna matata’. I made friends both in class and at the residence. I'm writing to let you know that I learnt a lot from all of you and that I'm thankful.

The cook who always said good morning and would inquire if the food was to our liking or if the pepper was too much. Mary, the hostess at the restaurant, you called every morning just to let me know that breakfast was ready and if I never showed up just to ask if I was well. William and Monday the hosts who said hallo with a warm smile before breakfast. Charity and colleague, the receptionists who always made conversation when I picked my room card and I’d end up forgetting anything discouraging I probably had heard that day, thank you. The lady who served us 11 am snacks and tea after class with a traditional Nigerian bend and smile, that was refreshing. Mr. Augustine and the whole house keeping team, thank you for cleaning my room, making my bed and for making sure I had enough lotion and shampoo. Mr. Barnabas, the driver, thank you for driving us around Lagos, allowing me to see the diversity in Nigeria. Thank you again.

To the Nigerian SLDF fellows team, Olufunke, a beautiful soul I met, there were little things you did or said unknowing that reminded me of the little beauties of life, like a baby’s smile. Ayodele, my Nigerian mother who would call to inquire of my well- being if she failed to make to class, I celebrate you as a woman and mother. Elizabeth the ever radiant beautiful, pregnant and energetic lady, may your child make you a happy mother. Dr. Esther- miss curvy babe- You are curvy, and I hope to see you in Washington in 2016. Prince, you were nice and kind to us- thank you for an amazing night out. My secret friend Catherine who always spoke sense and reality, thank you for building more insight in me. Cynthia an amazing lawyer- with an incredible mind and beautiful family- power to the women’s movement! Utah, a dancer who told me it’s okay to be me and be confident, thank you, those words will always be treasured. Adeola, 'wewe!' I don’t know what to say! You were warm towards us, took your time with us. Told us about Nigeria. Was curious about our Kenyan culture. Thank you. You are strong and independent. Thank you for teaching me some pidgin English- which I still find amusing. May you find kindness in people just as you showed it to us anywhere in the world you travel and 'Karibu' Kenya. 

Finally to the facilitators at the Action Health Incorporated, Lagos, Mrs. Iheoma Obibi, for an interesting Sexual Education class, I enjoyed it. Dr. Chima, thank you for expanding my knowledge and my understanding around sexuality. I’m more aware of myself and my sexual health and not embarrassed to talk about it. I plan to pass this lessons to others for better sexual health in Africa. I find it interesting also that you sat down and took time to write an entire article on the penis- which I’m yet to read. Dr. Uwemedimo Essiet, thank you for making me understand how sexuality and spirituality relate and to Mrs. Adenike Essiet for making sex normal and not the elephant in the room by talking about it as a mother, woman, educator and feminist. Thank you Lagos, Nigeria.

3 comments:

  1. Great and sweet article here. I feel so loved, humbled and amazingly appreciate my dear country Nigeria despite all the challenges faced.
    Thanks Lyons.

    ReplyDelete